Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Self-Watering Containers

My experiment with self-watering containers - in this case, tomatoes (May 26, 2011).


I was going through my email, and found a post from Timber Press - they were giving away a free book: Small Space Container Gardens - and all one has to do is leave a comment.  BUT - if one also linked a photo of their favorite small container, they got entered twice, so here is mine.  This is a photo from last summer when I purchased two self-watering gardening containers from Home Depot (at about $30 each). These were cheaper than the ones I had seen online made by Earthbox - which were about $40 or $50. However, you don't have to be limited to purchasing ready-made ones from the store.  If you are so inclined, you can make your own following the instructions found here - (a downloadable pdf with some great photos)  or this one: an article from Mother Earth News, or one more here.

I was interested in testing out how they worked, and whether they would be worth using.   Well, I'd have to say the experiment was a success!  The tomatoes grew wonderfully, the stalks were nice and sturdy, and I would definitely recommend a self-watering container, whether you buy one ready-made or do-it-yourself. This year, I plan on re-using those two, as well as having a few more, so I can take advantage of the incredibly sunny locations on my brick path and driveway.

Those same containers in late June of 2011.


And the bounty from those containers was absolutely delicious! I can't remember all the varieties on the plate, but on the bottom are Green Zebra tomatoes, I think the big one on the right is Brandywine (maybe), the small red ones on the top are probably Principe Borghese, and maybe Big Rainbow on the left.  Whatever they were, they were yummy!


Heirloom tomatoes from my 2011 season. 


No comments:

Post a Comment